Every weekday I’ll post an updated power ranking for the Mets outfield. The theory is that the top three would be starters (or share a platoon) and the next two would likely make the roster. An additional five candidates round out the list. (And yes there were 10 players who might have had a shot of playing in the outfield)
1. Collin Cowgill (1) – 0-for-2 replacing Matt den Dekker.
2.Marlon Byrd (2)- Byrd played DH again, which is a sign that the management trusts he can play the outfield. Since his bat has been solid, I’d still say he’s on the inside track.
3. Jordany Valdespin (3) – Solid day keeps Spin solidly in third.
4. Lucas Duda (4)- Day off, no movement.
5. Mike Baxter (5)- He’s really not making a strong case with the bat, but at least he scored a run.
6. Matt Den Dekker (6) – Broke up a double play with his arm band today, while also going 1-for-2
7. Kirk Nieuwenhuis (7) – He’s got a lot of ground to cover when he gets back, if he even gets back before Opening Day.
8. Jamie Hoffmann (8) – They keep giving him at bats. I don’t see anything that would make me excited.
9. Justin Turner (10) – Still holding down this spot because he’ll be on the roster. The guys above are all angling for starting, platoon, or bench jobs. Turner is just looking for a couple more days that he doesn’t have to sit on the bench.
10. Zach Lutz (-) – He’s hitting a bit, and they decided to keep him in the game by moving him from third to the outfield during the game. Could it mean there’s working to try to get him on the roster? hmm?